Friday, October 24, 2008

Goodbye to Cali!



















Within the last few weeks, Mike and I noticed that our cat, Cali, had isolated herself from us. We first became aware that she was getting sick. However, when she began refusing her favorite soft cat food, we knew something was wrong. I started to keep an eye on her realizing she was not playing with us, keeping us company, or greeting us anymore. We finally decided this morning to take her to the vet.
I went in with her thinking that I would walk out with some meds that would make her feel better in a few days. What I got instead was the notification that her liver had failed and she was close to dying. My heart just cried out in disbelief. This is my cat that is only four years old, was with me when we brought our girls home from Ukraine, gave us Sumy (our other cat which is her daughter) by giving birth on my bed, sat on the porch with me, sat near me in the morning while I drank coffee and had my quiet times... Now I was being told that she was fatally ill.
I have never had to put an animal to sleep. I couldn't understand how the vet knew she was sick when she was still walking around - not eating, sleeping, drinking, or using the litterbox though. Mike and I had to put her first and think of her best interests. He asked me, "Can you sleep tonight now that you know how much pain she is going through?" No, I could not! But then, how do I tell the children? We decided to wait until they got home from school and let them say goodbye. Of course, our two oldest daughters took it very hard. It is one thing to grieve for yourself and another to watch your children grieve. There is so little that can be done to console them over a lost "family member" like her. We let them talk to her by themselves, take pictures, and say goodbye. Then we took her back to the vet for the hardest part.
Since we are selling our house, a dear friend of mine allowed us to bury Cali on her property near some water where some other animals are buried. Only God knows why he took her so soon. Only God knows where pets go after they die here. That is a question my daughters are still pondering. But I go to the words that comforted and are still comforting me... "Not one sparrow falls to the ground apart from the will of the father" (Matt. 10:29). God knew Cali was leaving our home today. And He is comforting all of us through it. "Surely I am with you always..." (Matt. 28:20).


5 comments:

Lisa said...

I've also seen people quote before that God withholds no good thing from us in heaven--which surely must include pets! When I was moving out of my parents' house in college, both of our cats (14 and 16 years) died within 48 hours of each other. One expectedly and one unexpectedly. It was a horrible blow for all of us and for my parents especially at a time when such major transition was already taking place. I'm sure the same applies to all of you. It makes the future seem that much more uncertain. But God is taking care of Cali, and He's taking care of all of you! I hope you all feel His comfort.

Angela Baylis said...

Hi, Melissa.
I am so sorry about your "Cali". I know the pain of having to euthanize an animal. My husband is a vet it is very difficult for him. I will never forget the day we had to put our dog, Emily down. She was a golden retriever and the sweetest one in the world. We still haven't gotten another one. Our dog had cancer and we knew it was time when we were keeping her around for our own selfish reasons instead of what was best for her. We were doing more to her than for her. It must have been hard to watch your kids grieve. Ours were older and it was still so difficult. I will keep you and your family in my prayers during this time.
Much love,
Angie xoxo

Michelle said...

Hey Sweety,
I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss. That is so so hard. I am praying and wishing with all my heart we could run this out together. I'm praying for the girls as well. I love you.
I'm doing ok with all that is happening with J. I'm glad Chris told you. I was going to call and let you know but will now try to call and just chat. Pray for mom and dad as they figure out how best to support J and Riley. They are itching to get to SanAntonio to see her! I am just in awe of the miracle of her life. and anxious to see God's hand in this.

Shonda said...

Oh my--how hard it is. I remember last year when our favorite cat died from antifreeze poisoning. It is so hard. I do believe God loves the animals. We dont know about their afterlife, but like you said--God does. I showed Chase scriptures of animals in heaven and that seemed to bring him some comfort even though there is that unanswered question, "Will 'Cali' or 'Tom' be in heaven?" Praying for you. Thanks for stopping by & appreciate all you've done to help me. I pray for you as you prepare to move. You will be missed! lots of love!
Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda

Dee said...

Hi Melissa. Where are you moving to? What does Mike do in the Air Force? My husband is also air force, he is a 1N0... tell Mike. He has been in 15+ years, 12+ on the books. He is currently in Afghanistan for his 2nd tour. We are currently living in North Carolina. I am taking a trip to Florida for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. Conratulations on both adoptions!!! Your children are beautiful and a blessing from God!

Hugs,
Dee
:o)